Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Thursday

Using mailto links in an HTML web form?

I'm writing a webpage registration program for a local non-profit, and I've been trying action="mailto:myaddr@yahoo.com" thinking that it would send me the stuff that my CGI script will get (method is POST) but I don't see anything. Is there a way to see what my cgi script will see w/o having to do the server side stuff first?

First off, as far as I can tell, the "method" is ignored when you use a mailto: link, but there's a bigger problem: mailto: links only work when the user's Web browser is configured to have a default email program helper.

This means that if you choose to use this method of getting data from a form, some percentage of your users won't be able to communicate with you at all (including your own setup, from what you say). Further, since there's no CGI script involved, it's impossible to...