Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Thursday

How much do I need to bid on Google AdWords for keywords?

I logged into my Google AdWords account to explore the possibility of tying my advertisement to a few new keywords, but I can't figure out how to ascertain how much it costs to get to the #1 position for a given keyword. Can you help me out?

I'm a bit puzzled that you have an AdWords account but that you don't know how to ascertain the price of a given keyword, so I'm going to make a wild guess that you're actually just trying to ascertain what value is placed on certain keywords within the pay per click advertising community.

As a result, I want to start by showing you how to use Yahoo's Overture service, because it's pretty easy to use even if you don't have an account. Then, I promise, I'll show you how to work with AdWords too.

Within the Overture universe, you should start by using their...