Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Friday

Why are all the blog search engines so terrible?

When I first started tracking discussions in the blogosphere, I used Google, which, while it had the benefit of not forcing me to actually type in a URL since it was already integrated into my browser, wasn't a great solution because - as of yet - Google doesn't track blog articles, per se. They show up eventually, but mixed in with the rest of the Web.

Then I was turned on to Technorati and used their service for a while, particularly liking how I could subscribe to an RSS feed of my search. A cool idea and great use of RSS. But, somehow, it never quite found all the blog discussions that referenced the key phrases or specific domains I was tracking.

Then I moved from NetNewsWire to NewsGator Online's online service and used their "Smart Feed" feature to track the discussion. But it too suffers from the same limitation...