Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Friday

What's an SEC Form 8K Filing?

Dave, I keep getting messages about companies that have "filed their 8-K" but the email doesn't explain what an 8-K is, it just assumes I know. But I don't. What's an 8-K and what does it have to do with me as an investor?

I get those messages too, in my spam mailbox. But an 8K is one of a set of forms that publicly traded companies are required to file with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Their Web site lists a table that gives a staggering number of different forms (see for yourself) which, among its vast data listing, includes the snippet that an 8K is an initial filing for offering stock.

Fortunately, the SEC also has a specific document just on Form 8K which does a much better job of explaining what the form is for and what it includes. It's a bit confusing, because this document suggests that an 8K is a form that basically triggers the requirement for the company to file a different form if any of a specific set of events occurs. As the SEC puts it...

Continue reading about SEC Form 8K at Ask Dave Taylor Tech Support.