Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Friday

What's the perfect length for a blog entry?

After having attended one of your great Blog Smart workshops, I've taken the plunge and am now starting a weblog of my own. What I'm not sure of, however, is how much to write in each entry. I've seen some weblogs that have one-liners, lots of them, and others, like your Intuitive Life that has much longer articles. What's your recommendation?

This is one of the holy wars in the world of blogging, as far as I can tell. I read a wide variety of blogs on dozens of different topics and find that the articles therein range from so-called linkblogs, one line 'Here's a nice article about X' type of entries to blogs where the author or authors clearly view their blog as a magazine and each entry as a feature article.

My colleague Debbie Weil blogged about blogger Pat Cleary's own guidelines for his National Association of Manufacturers blog, including the comment that "he tries to keep his entries short but finds that a natural length for him is 500 words. Too long for a typical blog post..."

But, of course, who decides...