Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Saturday

What's the most popular item sold on eBay?

What are the most popular items sold on eBay? My wife wants to start selling on eBay but dont know what is a good starting point.

Rather than guess, I called in an expert on the world of online auctions, Ina Steiner of AuctionBytes and asked her for help. Here's her response:

To start, I have to say that I think the question should be re-framed. Selling the most popular items on eBay sounds good, but that's also where you're going to have the most competition and downward pricing pressure. When people ask me what they should sell on eBay, I ask them what their interests and competencies are. This is particularly good for beginners who have to start selling items to see if they like it in the first place.

Many of our readers started out selling...