Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

How do I find product manuals online?

I need a manual for an Olympus c-3030 zoom camera. How can I obtain one? Also, how do I turn the flash off when taking pictures?

This looks like a good opportunity to talk about how to do sophisticated Google searches, I think, because if the information you seek is online, it'll be at the Olympus web site.

So, to start, any time you want to search a specific site and you know the domain, use the search pattern site:domain. In this case, the search should be constrained to site:olympus.com. (You can also restrict searches to just a top level domain too, which is most helpful. Use site:gov and you'll search all the indexed data from every US Government Web site online)

Since you're seeking information on a specific product, type in the...