Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Monday

How come Microsoft Messenger won't work with Windows XP SP2?

Dave, When I install Microsoft Messenger I can use it once.The next day when I boot up my computer I can't get in. Hotmail works ok, but I have installed messenger many times with the same result. I am running WindowsXP with SP2.

Is it possible that you also have MSN Messenger installed? It's worth pointing out that the two are not exactly the same and this may be the root of your problem. What you could try to do is to get rid of one of them, to resolve any conflicts that may be occurring between the two. Here's what you need to do.

Go to Start --> All programs --> Control panel --> Add remove programs


Select the add/remove windows components (third down in the left hand column).

Where it says "components" scroll down to the bottom and...