Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Saturday

How to subscribe to Blogs and RSS feeds with Mac Safari

I've been running Mac OS X Tiger for a while now, and when I encounter Web sites that have RSS feeds available, I've noticed that a blue "RSS" graphic appears in the address bar, but I haven't figured out how to actually subscribe to RSS feeds and use Safari as an RSS / syndication reader.

While Safari's detection of RSS is cool, I have to agree with you that it's definitely non-intuitive as an RSS reader. I've spent some time figuring it out, however, so let me show you the step-by-step process involved.

First off, let's go to a page that is on a site that has RSS. How about... um... my own Ask Dave Taylor site? Perfect!

When viewing a page on this site, Safari (on Tiger, not Panther or previous versions of the OS) adds the following to the address bar...