Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Thursday

How do I recover lost digital photographs?

Help! I loaded my digital camera pictures at Wal-Mart to view them and now I can't locate them anywhere and I deleted the pictures already by mistake on the disk. I was hoping I could find them on my hard drive. What would you recommend? Please let me know as soon as possible, I'm sick about it because I had some memorable pictures.

There are some questions submitted to Ask Dave Taylor that I hate to receive, honestly, and this is one of them. As far as I can tell, there's no hope here, no option for you other than to accept that you've lost these pictures, which I'm sure is highly disappointing.

This is really one of the greatest problems with digital photography, in my opinion: there's no simple way to archive your photographs. Even a shoebox of negatives in your closet gives you some chance of retrieving photos down the road, hassles or otherwise. Digital photos, you can - and always should - copy the photos onto your computer hard disk, but then there's a substantial organizational challenge that arises.

Some good tools exist, notably...