Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

Why I still believe PR is dead

After my well-received Business Blogging 101 workshop at the Blog Business Summit in San Francisco last week, my strong exhortation to the audience that PR is Dead was the buzz of the Summit. Even publications like the San Jose Mercury News and InfoWorld were talking about it, even though I'm certainly not the first to propose that the traditional job of public relations has been supplanted by the blogosphere.

The most interesting discussion I had on the topic, however, was with Doug Free, Group PR Manager for Microsoft and Lynann Bradbury, Senior VP of Microsoft's PR agency Waggener Edstrom. To set the scene, Lynann greeted me with "Hi. I'm not dead yet!"

But as we talked about the impact of blogging and, more generally, findability and the online world on traditional public relations, something became very, very clear...