Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

The next evolutionary step in DVD rentals: Redbox

I've been renting videos and DVDs since videotapes first came on the scene, starting with the $5-7/overnight rentals with draconian late fees of the early generation of video rental all the way to now being a long-time NetFlix member, so it should be no surprise I was intrigued when I saw a DVD rental kiosk at the local gas station yesterday.

Upon closer examination,the attractive kiosk proved to be run by Redbox Corporation and it had a simple system where you could swipe your credit card and rent any one of a number of current release DVDs for only $1 a night.

But it wasn't until I visited their Web site that I knew why this company is one to watch, and why agile little Redbox is going to redefine the entire world of DVD rental...