Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Wednesday

How do i copyright my company name?

Hi Dave, I am looking to get started with my own business, and was wondering what steps would be best for getting our name copyrighted with the U.S. Copyright Office. What advice do you have?

I think you misunderstand the purpose of copyright law, actually (though, to be honest, I'm certainly not a copyright or intellectual property lawyer, so take my comment here with a grain or two of salt). The Copyright Office explains:

"Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

And they also offer...