Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Monday

Journey to Boulder: Job Hunting the Blogger Way

In years past, people relocated because companies moved them, or because word of mouth led to an opportunity across the state or country. My family relocated from England to New York because my Dad wanted to try his luck in America, then we relocated from New York to California when a new assignment pulled him across the country.

Everything changes in the online world, however, and IBM staffer Alan Cheslow's Weblog Journey to Boulder shows just how different the search for employment has become. Cheslow, based in Marietta, Georgia, is sharing the entire sequence of his planned relocation to Boulder, Colorado, from selling his home in Georgia to finding a job and home in Colorado.

He offers two explanations for why he's doing this: "my motivations for creating the blog were because after looking for resources and advice from others and coming up empty-handed I decided I would document my experiences along the way, and from a purely self-serving standpoint I realized that I needed to market both my myself and my home in order to find a new job and sell my house"

When you consider just how many job seekers have a resume as...