Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Monday

Apple moves to Intel: So What? Big Deal.

I know that I have the minority position here, but while it's interesting to learn that Apple is planning on moving to the Intel platform (as reported in a million news outlets today, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, MacFixIt, Macintouch, Mac Network News and, of course, Robert Scoble's Scobelizer blog, where the story first broke), I can't really say that it's that exciting to me.

Yes, I know that it's a major event for the tech industry, yes I'm glad to know that - hopefully - the price of Macs will go down, the performance will go up, and I'll be able to run something like Virtual PC natively on my hardware, rather than through some painful emulation system, but ...

In the immortal words of one of the characters in the cult film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eight Dimension:

    So what? Big deal.

Here's why I don't really care...