Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Friday

How do I keep track of people blogging about me?

Hi Dave. Like you, I'm a blogger, and sometimes I bump into other bloggers who have written about one of my postings, but somehow I haven't gotten my trackbacks to work on my site. I don't care too much about trackbacks, but tell me, how do you keep track of other bloggers citing your material on their sites?

When you look at the number of weblogs out there, and think about the thousands of new entries written each and every day, it's immediately obvious that no-one can possibly subscribe to everything and though trackbacks are an interesting idea (see my article on blog trackbacks for more info) they aren't completely reliable, one reason being that not every weblog management system generates them.

Instead, I use a really slick feature of NewGator Online (a free RSS news aggregator) to create what they call smart feeds and let their system do all the heavy lifting.

Here's how it works, step-by-step...