Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Monday

What can you do with a blog?

In doing research for her book, The Corporate Blogging Book, my colleague and friend Debbie Weil asked a half dozen or so of her blogging colleagues if they wanted to comment on her proposed list of categories for blogs. As she explained it:

"I'm trying to be more creative than saying blogs can be used 'for marketing and PR and thought leadership, as well as internally for project and knowledge management.'"

Her proposed list includes blogs as a complement to traditional PR, conference blogs, customer evangelist blogs (what today's NYTimes calls branding blogs), etc.

Where this gets interesting is that I didn't respond with a expansion of her categories, I responded quite differently, and the subsequent email offers some good insight into how blogs have evolved from a simple system to a proscribed technological communications platform with many specific requirements. I'll let the email talk for itself...