Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Saturday

How do I get started with Ruby on Rails?

I want to know in a nutshell how I can get to install and use Ruby on Rails. I have been to rubyonrails.org but the download procedure is not clear cut. I'm basically a C++ and .NET developer. I am interested to use RubyOnRails for my web apps. Please give a straightforward and clear cut way to install start developing with RubyOnRails. Thanks a lot.

First off, I imagine that it'd be darn useful to have a definition of what "Ruby on Rails" is, in the first place, because every time I hear the phrase, I think that it must be some sort of game for my daughter. :-)

Ruby on Rails logoAccording to Wikipedia "Ruby on Rails is an open source web application framework written in Ruby that closely follows the Model View Controller (MVC) architecture. It strives for simplicity, allowing real-world applications to be developed in less code than other frameworks and with a minimum of configuration. One of Rails' guiding principles is "Don't Repeat Yourself"."

So it's a new type of programming environment that's well-suited for Internet applications, though I have heard from software developers that it's still early in its evolution and unlikely to be suitable for large scale professional software deployments.

In terms of getting started, the official place to start is...