Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Wednesday

A great example of a company responding in the blogosphere

I just bumped into a splendid example of how at least one smart company in the senior healthcare space is monitoring the world of blogs and closing the loop with customer commentary.

My friend and colleague Jeff Miller runs the Senior Safety Blog which focuses on issues of dealing with health and safety for, you guessed it, senior "citizens." While this could be just a litany of products for sale or a depressing series of updates on people who are slowly becoming more infirm and dying, in fact it's interesting and worth reading for both seniors and those who are involved in senior care.

In a recent posting with the rather wordy title A walking cane helped Edie with her walking problem, wheelchairs helped...how about a Hugo?, one of the contributors on Jeff's Weblog, Ellen Sacks, wrote: "I don't know about you, but I watch those shopping channels. I guess I don't really watch, I flip the remote to a shopping channel during commercials. So, I'm flipping and I see the perfect walking companion for Edie. The Hugo. The Hugo is a small cart with four wheels, a padded seat with a basket underneath to carry your essentials. It also has hand brakes that lock so it's steady when you sit down..."

This was posted back on August 24th, and about three weeks later here's the comment that appeared on the weblog...