Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Wednesday

What copyright wording should be in an ebook?

I'm about to publish my first ebook, "How to Hack Your Sony Vaio", and am wondering what kind of copyright notice and copy prevention verbiage I should include? Part of me wants to have a big 'do not copy!' on every page, while another part thinks that a two line note at the beginning of the ebook will be sufficient. What's your opinion, Dave?

Rather than share my own opinion, I asked a bunch of high-profile ebook authors what they use in their own ebooks. Here's what they shared...


David Lawrence, publisher of the popular 10 Quick Steps ebooks, uses this as his prototypical copyright notice:

Copyright, Legal Notice and Disclaimer:

This publication is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws, and all rights are reserved, including resale rights: you are not allowed to give or sell this Guide to anyone else. If you received this publication from anyone other than 10QuickSteps.com, you've received a pirated copy. Please...