Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

Search Engine Optimization: Mac versus Windows?

I have heard that Mac has issues with Google and SEO-related tactics. Is there any truth to this or is it all bunk? I am looking in to buy a Mac and move away from the PC world but I am getting conficting reports. Please, Dave, give me the truth about PC vs Mac.

I'm intrigued by this question, because this isn't the first time I have heard from people deep in the search engine optimization ("SEO") camp that Windows has a secret advantage over Macs with Google and search engine results placement (known in the SEO world as "SERP", actually).

But why? How could anyone think that the system that you use to access the Web, or even the operating system of the computer that you used to create or maintain (or tweak) your site could possibly be detected by a search engine and then affect your placement?

Hmmm....