Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

My Tablet PC takes forever to hibernate?

Dave, Windows XP hibernation takes an extremely long time, ten minutes or longer, to get to full hibernation. What is up? What can I do? I'm using a Toshiba M200 Tablet PC with 1GB of RAM.

Everything was fine when I received it used off eBay. Since then, I've reimaged the HDD and then resized the HDD from 60 gb to 25 gb. I don't know if this is when the problem started, but it seems a likely candidate.


That can be a very frustrating situation: in modern times we want everything to happen immediately, and when it comes to laptops sleeping or waking up, even 3-4 seconds seems like forever, so I'm quite impressed that you have the patience to wait ten minutes for your tablet to hibernate!

Digging around on the Microsoft site, I did find that there's a reported problem with Tablet PC hibernation and 1GB of memory...