Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Wednesday

Tweak Microsoft Messenger, Stymie Spying Roommate!

Whenever I log onto Microsoft MSN Messenger and chat it is being recorded and read by my roommate. i have no idea how to stop this and have some privacy as we share the same laptop. Can you please help me solve the problem?

First off, sounds ilke you have a nosy roommate, which is too bad. If they're sneaking into your private discussion transcripts, it kind of makes me wonder what other areas of your life they're examining. But roommate counsel is beyond the scope of this question, so let me show you how to disable the automatic chat transcript feature of Microsoft's MSN Messenger application.

Start up the application. Now, go to Tools --> Options and click on "Messages" in the left column.

You'll see a window like this...