Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Tuesday

How do I fix autoplay on Windows XP SP2?

I've newly upgraded to XP Pro/SP2 with all of the latest updates. The feature that always asks what I want to do when I insert removeable media (USB or ZIP disk) is frustrating and un-teachable. It either won't learn when I tell it to or the option isn't there.

My colleague Chris Buechler has certainly seen this one many a time, so I'll let him help you out here. Chris explains: "The owner of the company at my previous employer was a digital photography nut, and had this problem at least every other month or so!"

Windows contains a feature known as "autorun" that causes certain actions to be taken when you insert removable media. Unfortunately, Windows XP seems to like to repeatedly break this functionality on some systems. Luckily, there is an easy fix available from...