Ask Dave Taylor: Tech and Business

Monday

How do I stop AOL pop-up ads?

Dave, how do I get rid of all these stupid America Online pop-ups that plague me when I use my AOL account? I checked my AOL preferences and don't see anything that lets me turn them off!

In the old days, when AOL seemed to have a competitive business model, they made a remarkable amount of revenue from their pop-up sales offers, and I know more than one person who ended up with stuff from AOL that they apparently ordered by clicking the wrong button to get rid of the pesky window. Nowadays, I think that there's been so much pushback from customers like yourself that they've eased back a bit. Or perhaps it's just that i don't use AOL much any more!

Anyway, it's not easy to find where to disable pop-ups from AOL but here's the trick: Go to...